Close Menu
We are here to help! Hablamos Español Houston 713-654-2112 League City281-486-6116 Appointment Only
Houston Family Law Attorneys > Houston Family Law > Houston Unmarried Parent Child Custody

Houston Unmarried Parent Child Custody Attorneys

Custody for Unmarried Couples in Harris County

In Texas, unmarried parents have the same legal obligations to their children as married or divorced parents do. If the unmarried couple separates, they will need to go through the legal process to determine a child custody arrangement.

In all family law legal matters involving children, Texas state laws cater to the best interests of the child. This applies to child support as well as child custody. Each parent has a legal responsibility to provide for his or her children.

At the law firm of Conner & Lindamood, P.C., we represent both mothers and fathers in legal proceedings affecting children. If you are not married to the mother or father of your child, contact a Houston child custody lawyer to begin the process of determining child custody.

Determining custody for unmarried parents

In Texas, when a child is born to unmarried children, it is necessary to establish paternity through agreement or a paternity test. In determining a child custody plan, Texas family law courts always act in the best interests of the child. It is advisable for parents to try to agree on a custody arrangement outside of court. Custody battles can be drawn-out, expensive, and contentious — all of which can have a negative impact on the child involved.

Our attorneys will work closely with you to determine an arrangement that works for you, the other parent, and the child involved. We can also assist you with related legal issues including paternity, child support, and modifications.

Contact a Houston Child Custody Attorney

To learn more about custody options for unmarried parents, contact a Houston child custody attorney online or call (713) 654-2112.

We are proud to also serve Galveston County, Fort Bend County and Brazoria County. Outside the Houston metro area, call us 800-804-9984.

Share This Page:

How Can We Help You?

Fill out the quick contact form below with a brief description of your case, and someone from our office will respond to you shortly.

Captcha Image