Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Lindamood & Robinson, P.C Lindamood & Robinson, P.C
  • We are here to help!

Houston Child Custody & Support Modification Lawyer

Modification of Child Custody, Child Support, Visitation, and Other Divorce Agreements or Divorce Court Orders

Texas family court judges know that circumstances change. Their primary concern in divorce and child custody cases is that the agreements or court orders be fair. When a child’s medical or financial needs or a parent’s employment or residence conditions change, the courts can grant a modification of the divorce agreements or court orders governing custody, child support and visitation.

To discuss your options in seeking a modification of an existing divorce order in Texas, please contact an experienced Houston custody & support modification lawyer at the Houston law firm of Lindamood & Robinson.

What is required to modify a custody, support or visitation order?

A request for modification of custody, visitation or child support must be filed in the court that last entered an order regarding the children involved. Either spouse may seek modification based on the assertion that a change in circumstances has rendered the prior order unfair or unworkable, such as:

  • The non-custodial parent is making substantially more money.
  • The visitation schedule has become difficult.
  • The custodial parent moves out of the state of Texas without giving due notice, placing an undue burden for the parent seeking visitation (see relocation and move-away cases).
  • A child experiences a medical emergency that places an unfair burden of medical bills and costs of care on the custodial parent.
  • The noncustodial parent (the spouse who pays child support) loses a job, has a medical crisis or otherwise experiences a significant change in employment and financial status.
  • A child 12 years of age or older wishes to file an affidavit stating his or her preference regarding the parent with whom he or she wishes to live

The legal process of modifying a custody, support or visitation order is designed to ensure that children’s rights and best interests are protected and that the fairness of court orders is maintained. Modification is not meant to be a vehicle for rehashing old arguments or reopening old wounds.

Contact us for experienced guidance in custody modification.

At Lindamood & Robinson, our lawyers have a long-term commitment to our clients’ and their children’s wellbeing and success. We provide straightforward advice and rational options for modifying a child custody, support or visitation arrangement that is no longer appropriate.

Contact our Houston offices today to schedule a face-to-face consultation with a respected Houston custody and support modification lawyer.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation