Big questions to ask when going through a divorce
There are some huge questions that have to be asked when you’re going through a divorce and splitting up property. Some may seem rather basic, but it’s important not to overlook the essentials. Below are a handful of the most crucial questions.
1. Is the marriage itself legal and valid?
2. Do you know what fees you may have to pay and what paperwork to file?
3. Do you know the time frame of the coming events and all steps that must be taken in the divorce process?
4. What date are you going to list as the official date of separation?
5. Is there a prenuptial agreement that has to be considered?
6. Have you and your spouse listed all property and assets?
7. Have you listed all of your debts?
8. Is the property all owned equally by both of you, or do you or your spouse own some of it separately?
9. Have you considered any businesses expenses and debts?
10. Have you done official valuations on pieces of property that are hard to value, like artwork or collectible vehicles?
11. Do either of you expect to file for bankruptcy?
12. Do both of you work, or is one of you going to be without income after the split?
13. What children are involved in this process, and how old are they? Do the children have any issues that may require extra care, such as disabilities?
14. Are you and your spouse on good terms?
This is not an exhaustive list of the questions that you should ask, but it does give you a very good place to begin. Your family law attorney is a good source of advice during the process.
Source: Huffington Post, “A Few Questions to Consider in Divorce Property Division Situations,” Brad Reid, accessed Dec. 17, 2015