Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

Can my ex-wife move away with my child?

If a custodial parent decides to relocate with a child, an already challenging situation can become even more complicated. The reason for this is simple: It forces one parent and the child to have a long-distance relationship.

Unless an agreement is in place, a relocation dispute may come to the forefront if the non-custodial parent objects to the other parent and child moving away. For this reason, courts are often staffed with the responsibility of deciding if the move is in the best interest of the child.

Laws vary from one state to the next when it comes to child custody relocation. Fortunately, state laws typically include details on the requirements of relocating with a child, including if this is possible and the rules associated with doing so.

For example, some states have child custody relocation laws based on distance. For instance, if the new location is within 200 miles or in the same state, the court may take this into consideration.

Regardless of where you live, there will come a time when the relocating parent is required to propose a new visitation schedule. This will include the place and times during which the non-custodial parent will visit with the child. This could include things such as extended time together during summer break or major holidays.

If you are concerned about your ex-wife moving away with your child, it is best to immediately learn more about relocation laws. This will help you decide which action to take, ensuring that you don’t miss out on time with your child in the years to come.

Source: FindLaw, “Child Custody Relocation Laws,” accessed Jan. 13, 2016

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Our Location

Houston Office


1415 Louisiana Street, Suite 3450
Houston, TX 77002

We service Galveston County, Ft. Ben County and Brazoria County by ZOOM!

Contact a Member of the Firm